Myvi Sets the Standard

Last year I won an sms contest organised by Cars, bikes and trucks’ section of the NST. Actually I didn't win anything, I just got my sms message printed. My name was not even put there. I had made some suggestions about how Proton cars could be improved. My suggestion was to make air bags and disc brakes standard in all cars. My friends working in Proton kept on making excuses like "it would increase costs", blah blah blah.

The Perodua Myvi comes as a breath of fresh air and has set a new stadard for all cars sold in Malaysia, both local as well as foreign brands.

Only the top range DOHC 1.3 litre automatic (priced RM51,300 on-the-road with insurance) comes with ABS and twin air bags but it is a start for a car of this range and price.

I found it interesting that local compnent vendors also contributed to the design and development of parts right from the inception stage working with Perodua. This is a strategic move in view of the fact that the car has 80% local content

Perodua's latest offering comes in direct competition with Proton's soon to be launched first compact car (Also known as the Tiara replacement model with a 1.2 liter engine). I am eagerly wating to see Proton's response to the Perodua's challenge.

Comments

Popular Posts