To repair the old car or to sell it and buy a new one

 My old Proton Wira was giving me some issues. The gears were no longer smooth and more serious, and the brake was not working correctly. Other than that, there were no issues. The car started immediately and ran smoothly. 

So, I was in a dilemma - whether to get rid of the old car or repair it. I did some calculations and estimated around RM3000 for the repairs compared to much for a new car. Even if I did get a used car, there were bound to be some repairs.

In the end, I decided to go ahead with the repairs on our 21 year old Proton Wira.

Sent the car for service at the nearby Proton service centre last Tuesday and also to see what needs to be repaired. The workshop manager Ruby later called me and told me that there was a need to change a couple of parts and that it would not be cheap. I told her to go ahead. 

In the end here is the total damage:

Oil Filter: RM13.06

Gasket plug oil drain: RM3:20

Clutch Kit: RM300 (This was the most expensive part)

Cyl. assy brake master pump:  RM184.75

Cylinder assy rear brake wheel: RM116

Valve, brake fluid: RM114.71

Clutch bearing: RM80

Oil seal flywheel: RM95.05

Oil seal driveshaft: RM50

Clutch cable: RM80

Gear cable bush: RM65

Engine oil Mach 5 15W/40: RM85

Labour and service: RM727.20


The grand total: RM1913.85 (including tax RM7.20)

It was definitely not cheap but much lower than I had expected. 

They also replaced my driver-side mirror which I had bought myself for RM50.


The car now feels amazing. The gears are now smooth and the clutch is really light. The brakes now feel much better. Really improves my confidence while driving. They said that the brake disc and pads are still OK but I want to change them to new ones as well. Maybe next month. 

Comments

Popular Posts